Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week Fifty-Two: Chris Duncan

Anxiety


Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.  I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. Isaiah 43:1b-42 (NLT)


I am a wimp. Oh, not about everything. I’m not afraid of heights or airplanes or water. I am introverted. Social situations can make me incredibly anxious and the thought of getting up in front of a crowd to say something can make my face as red as my hair, no matter how important the message. Years back, I had to go around the Sunday Schools in my church and make an announcement about the need for donations for the food closet. That morning still gives me nightmares.


All of that anxiety was getting in the way of my writing. Writing itself was fine, the problem was showing it to people. That was a problem. I would take writing classes, sit in the back and try not to share. I would send a manuscript into a publisher and be almost relieved when it got rejected because it meant I wouldn’t have to promote. When my first mystery novel was accepted for publication, I had to force myself out of the house to do talks, signings and the usual promo. It was always a struggle. But this verse from Isaiah is such a comfort.


The Lord not only doesn’t want us to be afraid, He promises to be with us. Now, He doesn’t promise that I won’t say something dumb or stammer, but He’ll be there. He’s always there, listening
and helping us through. In the middle of the night when you’re up late worrying where your teen is, in the middle of the storm that sounds like it’s about to tear the roof off, and yes, in the middle of
the retirement home’s book club where I’ve gone to promote my book The Lord is there.





Christine Duncan is the author of the Kaye Berreano mystery series. She resides with her husband in Colorado. Visit Christine online at www.ChristineDuncan.com

No comments: