Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, August 03, 2014

Week Forty-Two: Andrea Boeshaar

                            Chapter Four:   Success And Sustenance




Working A "Real" Job


"Again Jesus said, ‘Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.’” John 20:21 (NIV)


Many authors are called to write for a living. For them, it’s a viable, full-time job. But for some of us, writing is a side business or part-time ministry, which we’d love to do full-time except our “real” jobs seem to get in the way.


At times I find myself feeling resentful that I’ve been called back into the workforce, and I whine and complain about it to my Heavenly Father. “Can’t I quit this job and write full-time like so- and-so does?”


“You know that’s impossible, my child. There are bills to pay and I’ve called you to help your family. Besides, think of the lost souls you work with everyday. You are the salt of the earth...you
are the light of the world.”
 

“But I don’t want to be salt and light. I just want to write full time.”


At this point, I imagine God chuckling at the irony of my statement. “My child, how can you have an effective writing ministry
if you are unwilling to heed my call to reach the precious souls you work with everyday?



I’m humbled, but not subdued. “Couldn’t I just give my coworkers one of my novels and then give my two weeks’ notice?”


It’s then the Savior’s words ring in my ears. “O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.”
Jesus Christ went willingly to the cross. Is it really too much for me to work at a “real” job while I work at my writing? Hardly!







Andrea Boeshaar is a published author of both fiction and nonfiction. She is also a certified Christian life coach. For more information on Andrea, visit her website at: www.andreaboeshaar.com



No comments: