Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Week Forty-Four: Brandy S Brow

Worthy of Our Confidence




“Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe. Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation! For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh...” Philippians 3:1-3 (NKJV)

My writing skills have changed a lot in the last twelve years.
I understand how to focus and slant articles for magazines. I can
craft a query letter that gets accepted. I know how to meet word counts and deadlines, avoid grammatical errors, and write characters that come alive in stories with essential conflict. Yes,


I’ve come a long way since my suntanned dog story, which flopped harder than a belly-smacker all those years ago. But as my skills develop, I find it tempting to have confidence in them.


Philippians 3:1-3 warns about this. Just because writing comes
a lot easier than it used to, that doesn’t mean it can or should be my confidence. Placing trust in anything other than God invites disaster, and I would be wise to remember although I worked to increase my abilities, it was God who made it all possible.


As we become more proficient writers, let us remember to place our trust in God alone instead of making him compete with our skills. Imagine if we didn’t? Our writing might be empty or we might fall flat. But even worse, the One who gifted us would be shortchanged and we’d suffer eternal consequences. God deserves all of our thanks and is worthy of our confidence. Let’s give it to Him.


Father, thank you for sharpening our writing abilities. We look at them today as a reason to rejoice and place all our confidence
in You, not them.


Bless You, Lord. Amen.


Brandy S. Brow lives in Vermont with her husband and seven children. She enjoys entertaining, teaching, and encouraging through the written word, and loves to help writers via freelance editing and mentorship. www.brandybrow.com

No comments: