Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week Forty-Five: Cheryl Davis

Remember What it is All About


“Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity.”  Ephesians 5:15 (NIV)


I have been insulted, ogled, shunned, won an award for best Historical novel, received some glowing reviews (and one strange review preoccupied with sex), made to sit beside a grown man in a beaver suit and even offered a sales job. I think I have experienced everything but success in my adventure to sell my inspirational, historical novel. But there have been a few bright moments in my adventure into the world of the published author.


At one book signing I became keenly aware of the stare of a middle-aged man leaning on a cane. When there was no one at my table, he came over and asked about my book. We chatted some. He told me about his illness. Then we began to discuss some very profound issues: God, family, divorce, kids, death.


I realized this solemn man, with such hard lines etched in his face (I doubt he had smiled in a very long time) was purposefully
challenging my beliefs. He was trying to make me angry and seemed
openly surprised when he failed at his mission.


He became quiet and pretended to read a page out of my book. I think he was taking his time to ponder all that I had said. He suddenly put the book down and turned to leave. He instantly
turned around and came back to my table full of unsold books. “Thanks.” And he smiled. He struggled to speak. “Yeah, thanks for talking to me.” I do not know what I might have said to have elicited such an intense response in him. Even though I only sold a dozen books that day, I still consider that book signing a great triumph. I had reached another human being. After all, that is what I am trying to accomplish as a writer.


Cheryl Anderson Davis, born in Atlanta, adds local flavor to her stories. Her Revolutionary War novel, HOPE IS CONSTANT, won Treble Heart Books Best Historical Book. SOUTHERN COMPLICATIONS is about the Reconstruction Era in Georgia.



No comments: