Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Week Thirty-Seven: Rhonda Eudaly


Understanding



“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)




I’m a genre fiction writer, mostly galaxies far, far away or future times. It’s fun most of the time, getting to make up planets, people, and civilizations as I go along. There’s also a draw back, the wise old principle, “Write What You Know.” No one has been to those galaxies or really knows what the future holds. No one has yet to prove anyone can even get to those galaxies far, far away, and only God has created a planet, people, or civilization. However, everyone does seem to have an opinion on how best to go about it.


When I was faced with the dilemma of coming up with a method of both “Faster-Than-Light” and time travel. I didn’t lean on my own understanding of Physics. I couldn’t. I never took Physics in school. So I only had a very rudimentary understanding of the general principles physics when what I needed was something much more advanced.


Now, theoretically I could’ve made it all up as I went along, but there would always be someone out there to complain about it. Besides, I had friends who were engineers and access to used bookstores. So I made use of other people’s understanding, and guess what? My path of confusion straightened out. Well, after a while.


The process wasn’t immediate. The math portions still make my head hurt and eyes cross. But some of the theories are actually a lot of fun. Also, those engineering friends? They were tickled pink to be asked to help out. In fact one of them took my question back to his highly classified, Lockheed think tank and during lunches and breaks, and they came up with ideas for me. They were even quite plausible ideas, not possible yet, but plausible. My defense dollars at work.


Therein lies the loophole to the “Write What You Know” rule. Now I have a whole cadre of experts in my address book to lean on when I need understanding.






Rhonda Eudaly is the author of over a dozen short stories and articles. She lives in Arlington, TX with her husband. More details of her work can be found at  http://www.rhondaeudaly.com/.

No comments: