Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Week Thirty-One: Brandy Brow

Happy Mother's Day to All!!!




Symphony




“But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. And if they were all one member, where would the body be? But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you’; nor again the hand to the feet, ‘I have no need of you.’ No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty,” 1 Corinthians 12:19-23 (NKJV)




I hate to admit it, but even though I looked up to editors because they had the power to give me publication, I used to think writers were better than anyone in the business. I reasoned that since we developed the content and our names were on the work, we were most important. And God forbid that an editor should change my words. As I continued to write, however, my sight widened.


Things became especially clear when I became editor of a web site. Suddenly I was on the other side of the desk. As I sought good writers to fill my content quota, and polished their work so little would prevent readers from getting the information they wanted, I realized that publication is not about the author. It is about the readers, and to give them what they need and want requires effort from several venues, including people like agents, publishers, editors, authors, copy editors, proofreaders, graphic
artists and marketers. We all work like a symphony to deliver quality thoughts and emotions. I felt like smacking myself for trying to be a one-man band.

As writers we don’t see all sides of the business and it’s easy to make the same mistake I did. We need to be wise authors who will not say to editors or others in the publishing business, “I have
no need of you.” Our symphonies will work best only when we recognize them as important as ourselves and give them the greater honor they rightfully deserve for being the necessary in-house workers readers rarely see.


Lord, thank You for the wonderful group of people we authors get to work with, all of whom share our visions to reach the reader. May our vision remain strong as we submit with joy to being part of this wonderful symphony. Amen.




Brandy S. Brow lives in Vermont with her husband and seven children. She enjoys entertaining, teaching, and encouraging through the written word, and loves to help writers via freelance editing and mentorship. www.brandybrow.com

No comments: