Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Week Twenty-Five: Barbara J Robinson

Why Write When You Keep Getting Rejections?




“Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.” Psalm 144:1(NIV)


The best rejection I ever received was from an editor who said my novel was eloquently written and bright with vivid dialogue. She boasted of how it piqued the reader’s interest from the first page and held it raptly until the last. She said I had created beautifully strong, believable characters, and I was talented. She raved that my novel was clearly much more than a book. She said it was truly inspiring and thought-provoking. I was beaming until I read on and came to the clincher, which said after careful consideration they decided not to publish it since it didn’t fit in with their list of titles.


Why do I continue to write despite rejection after rejection?

After having been published numerous times in local newspapers and anthologies, winning first prize in fiction-writing competition, and having my short story published in a literary magazine, I decided it was time to start submitting my work seriously. With one submission came the rejection letter above, bringing me to the question of why I write. I feel my writing ability is God-given for the purpose of enabling me to reach out and help others. I feel God wants me to keep trying. It was through my writing I learned I had made a difference in one life, the life of my little sister. She wrote me after reading one of my poems and said I had taught her to pray when we were kids. If not for a poem I had written, we could have gone our whole lives through, and I would never have known. I want others to experience the personal relationship I have with God and, hopefully, show them how they, too, can have that same productive relationship. If my writing makes a difference in saving one lost sheep, I will have served God by bringing another to His kingdom.As Jesus told stories, I believe writers should remember that it is His lost sheep who need saving, and it is up to us to use His method. The most important difference we, as writers, can make in the lives of others is the difference between eternal life and death.


Money and fame do not begin to compare with learning that you, personally, have made a difference in the life of another human being, no matter how small, like teaching my sister to pray as a child. Writing can bring you closer to others by letting you share your life, hopes, dreams, goals, and insights with others and be used as a tool for building bridges and relationships. It allows writers to reach out and touch, really communicate through the power of the written word. Writing brings you closer to others, opens up new worlds by allowing you to invent your own new worlds and share them with others, and by allowing you to grow as a person, with your writing, as you progress on a journey of self-discovery. Writing may just give someone else a whole new world, a better world, one with God. Then, you will have made a real difference.




Author, B. J. Robinson, is an award-winning, multi-published author with four traditionally published novels as well as independently published short stories, novellas and novels. She writes from Florida with a golden cocker spaniel named Sunflower, golden retriever named Honi, and a shelter cat named Frankie for company, blessed with a husband, children, and grandchildren. Jesus is her best friend. She's an avid reader and passionate writer. Visit her at https://www.facebook.com/AuthorBJRobinson, http://www.amazon.com/B.-J.-Robinson/e/B007DNJIKU/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel or http://barbarajrobinson.blogspot.com.

10 comments:

B. J. Robinson said...

I'm thrilled to be on your blog today. Thanks so much for allowing me to share my experience with others. Blessings, BJ

Robin Bayne said...

So glad you're here :)

Lisa Belcastro Romance Author said...

Great blog, Barbara! It's not always easy to pursue publication when so many rejections are out there waiting to arrive in the mail or via email. I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about reaching just one person. I may never be well known, but if God uses me to bring another to Him, then I will have done something of purpose, something meaningful to me.

Robin Bayne said...

Thanks for stopping by, Lisa. I also agree on reaching just one person.

Mary Sayler said...

Robin, I'm sorry your novel wasn't accepted by that particular editor, but believe me! Editors do not have time to write such a glowing response unless they mean every word, so take that as encouragement then keep looking for publishers who do want manuscripts like yours. I do! So I just highlighted this post as a word to other members of our Christian Poets and Writers group on Facebook - http://christianpoetsandwriters.blogspot.com . God bless you and your good work in Jesus' Name

B. J. Robinson said...

Thanks Lisa and Robin. We're rejected much more in life than we are accepted :) Blessings, BJ

Robin Bayne said...

Thanks Mary, actually Barbara wrote this week's post. Thanks so much for helping share her words of encouragement.

Karen Prough said...

I've been very discouraged lately. But each website I've visited this morning has help in some way.

B. J. Robinson said...

Mary, thanks for your words of encouragement. The book that the editor turned down is not published in both ebook and paperback by another publisher. I am referencing the beginning of my writing journey. I received that letter from a traditional publisher with a well-known Christian publishing house years ago. They've always been a dream publisher, and it looks like they will remain that way, but the Lord made a way for the book to be published regardless, and I'm still writing and publishing. Blessings and thanks so much for visiting and highlighting the article. Barb

B. J. Robinson said...

Karen, thanks for visiting. I'm glad that you found encouragement this morning by visiting blogs. I often find others' words very encouraging. Blessings, Barb