Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Week Nineteen: Joanne Schulte

A Wordsmith Missionary




“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians. 2:9 (NIV)


When I asked God to give me something more to do for Him, I was convinced He would lead me into using my home as a B and B for traveling missionaries. But God showed me He had other plans for my life. He wanted me to write articles proclaiming His glory, reaching lives for His kingdom.
Why didn’t I think of that?


One of my first articles was accepted immediately. This writing stuff seemed pretty easy so far.
But the Holy Spirit whispered, “It won’t always be this easy.”I could accept those words intellectually, but I had not yet experienced the “R” word. Rejection.

Whereas writing had always been easy and pleasurable for me, now there was more. There was also a passion to write. Never could I have imagined how quickly time would fly while I was at my computer or how slowly time would pass while I endured a writer’s block or waited for word from an editor. The most amazing thing of all was that I could eagerly get out of bed, toss on a bathrobe and immediately begin reworking the same article I had written late the night before.


I didn’t use to be this way before I started writing.


I was beginning to resemble the guy in the comic strip who works at home on his computer in his bathrobe, losing all track of time, totally unaware of the world around him.
Even my checkbook reflected “the new me.”  Entries revealed money spent for computer paper and ink cartridges, writer’s magazines and annual conferences.


What is happening to me, Lord?


I’ve also made a new group of friends, people I’ve only known a short time, but with whom I feel very close. We see each other often, e-mail frequently, and communicate in a strange language. Our vocabulary contains the words “tweak” and “critique,” “SASE” and “query.” Overhearing this, one might suspect we are “not of this world,” but have our heads in “the heavenlies.” Could it be true?


I am continually reminded my way is not God’s way. His answers to my prayers are always so much better than anything I could ever imagine. No longer do I think of hosting missionaries in my home. For I too have become a missionary, a “wordsmith missionary.” No, I don’t risk life and limb to reach the lost. I only suffer blurry eyes, aching back, and poor wages. In years to come it will not matter if I have written while wearing my bathrobe or that I have now met the “R” word time and time again.


There is another “R” word. Reward, and my reward awaits me in heaven someday. In the meantime only one thing matters. That is: if by sharing God’s message on the printed page, my writing touches at least one life for God’s kingdom.


Thank you, Lord, for answering my prayer and allowing me to be a wordsmith missionary for You.








Joanne Wright Schulte began writing for the Lord in 2002 and just recently has begun a speaking ministry too. Her work has appeared in many publications including Chicken Soup for the Soul books. She enjoys, music, reading, writing and speaking.


 


2 comments:

Mary Sayler said...

Good article, Joanne! Other members of our Christian Poets & Writers group on Facebook will surely relate, so I'll highlight your post on the Christian Poets & Writers blog - http://christianpoetsandwriters.blogspot.com. God bless you and all you've been given to write in Jesus' Name.

Robin Bayne said...

Thanks for sharing Mary!