Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week Fifteen: Linda Rondeau

The Writer’s Wrappings




The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~ James Bryce (British Historian)

“For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.” 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (KJV)

I couldn’t understand it. I had mimicked her stance to perfection. My mother-in-law’s drives rarely missed the fairway. I reasoned that if I did everything exactly as she did, then I should be as good a golfer as she was. Committed to my false assumptions, I struggled the entire season with poor results until the reason for my failings finally registered in my stubborn and resistive brain. Kathryn stood five feet two inches. Her swing was perfect for her height and body build. I, on the other hand, was five feet eight inches. I had not calculated how a swing is developed according to a person’ s physiology. No golf technique is designed as universally applicable.

I spent the next season studying a variety of techniques and trying to develop a swing that matched my build, age, and club capability. With diligence and adaptability, I began to see more and more drives land in the fairway.

As writers, we are driving a message toward the green of a person’s heart. Some of us write romance. Some of us write humor while others present the truth through legends and fantasy. Once our manuscript is complete, we market our message according to our anticipated readership. Some use a speaking platform, some send out postcards, some advertise online, and some have helpers who spread the word on their behalf.

Most writers will choose a combination of marketing venues to bring their message to the forefront. In each case, the writer will be “all things to all people” that some may read and believe. Paul had a message to give the world: Jesus Saves. The message content never changed, his delivery methods were dependent upon his circumstances. For the jailer, he’d forego the opportunity of escape. For the tempest-tossed seaman, he endured shipwreck. For the Greeks, he appealed to their belief in an unknown God. For the Hebrews, he reminded them of their heritage. He strove to be “all things to all men” in order to win some.

Through the might of His great love, God has designed a unique package for every sinner He woos. He will do whatever He must to bring us to enlightenment. He may present himself in the whisper of a breeze or the thunderous trail of a tornado. He may reveal himself through the cry of a newborn infant or through burnt toast. He may rein us in or give us slack. The method He chooses has been designed specifically for the recipient of His love. He is “all things to all people” that some may choose to believe.

Linda Rondeau has published eight books and now resides in Florida with her husband of thirty-five years. Now retired from her long career in human services, she continues to write stories, books, poems, and articles of encouragement. For links to her manuscripts and blogs, go to http://www.lindarondeau.com.

No comments: