Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Waiting

Wait Up
by sanewriter


The phrase “wait up” can be used in two contexts. When I have an evening speaking engagement to which I go without my husband, it’s always nice to come home because I find that James will “wait up” for me. He foregoes his comfort and stays awake so there will be someone to greet me when I get home. The second use of the phrase happens when I am walking along with my son Matthew. He is taller than I am so his legs are longer. Since his youth gives him more energy and vigor than I now possess, I often find myself lagging behind and imploring him to “wait up.” With this, I mean I need him to slow down so I can catch up to where he is and we can walk together.

God shows us that His people benefit when they “wait up” for Him. “Kings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers; they shall bow down to you with their faces to the earth, and lick up the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD, for they shall not be ashamed who wait for Me” Isaiah 49:23 (NKJ). If we as God’s children are patient, no matter what hardships we may be going through at the time, God will work everything out for our good, even if that means putting us in a position to be served by those much greater than we. We simply need to “wait up” because God is on His way. And when God shows up—as He definitely will—we will have nothing of which to be ashamed.

Why does it seem God has yet to show up in your situation? Think of the two uses of “wait up” once again. Maybe you’ve refused to “wait up” for God. Instead, you’ve given up or have gone to sleep thinking He’s not going to show up. Or maybe you feel it’s taking God too long, so you’ve rushed ahead without Him. Sooner or later, you’ll realize that when you outrun God, you arrive at places where He is not. Is that really what you want? Slow down; “wait up.” Once you are side-by-side with God again, match your pace with His so that when you get where you want to go, He’ll be there with you.

________________________

©2011 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to
receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.

And pick up a copy of Sharon’s new book, Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame, available at Christian bookstores, online, from New Hope Publishers, and from the Life That Matters Ministries’ website

No comments: