Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Saturday, June 05, 2010

Summer Reading


I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. ---1 Corinthians 7:7

Do you enjoy hot coffee in the morning? I do, in fact I often bribe myself with the hot beverage to get myself out of bed on a cold winter day. I’m sipping a fresh cup now as I write this, feeling the warmth flow through me. But what about those hot summer dawns, when the last thing one wants is to pour something hot? Isn’t iced coffee a great substitute? Just add a cup of ice to coffee brewed a bit stronger, and I'm all set. The same is true with tea. By the time autumn rolls around, I'll be ready for that piping hot brew again.

Do you ever feel that way with what's in your TBR (to be read) pile? Your reading life can be refreshed when you aren't in the mood for your usual fare. If you are spending too much time reading romance or mystery novels, put them on ice for a while. Use the summer days to read your Bible or some meaningful devotionals. Try an inspirational action or historical novel. Try an author new to you.

Use the days to seek out your spiritual gifts--maybe try your hand at writing something this summer. Or have a cup of iced coffee and rifle through a catalog of gift books. Later, when you're refreshed mentally, physically and spiritually, seek out your favorite reading again. It will seem new and fresh.

So what will you be reading, and drinking, this summer?

2 comments:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

I'll be reading some of the books in my TBR pile. Mostly Christian Fiction, but, I'll probably read a few secular titles, too. My sister gave me The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I'll probably be reading that this summer.

Funny you mention hot coffee! I LOVE hot coffee. Me and the family just returned from the farmers market in Greenbelt and I purchased some freshly ground coffee! It smells wonderful and I bought a cup while at the market and it tastes great!

Liz said...

It's summer, it's hot -- I'm still drinking coffee! Hot coffee. For some reason, I have never embraced the hot coffee idea, perhaps because I put creamer in my coffee. But you have nudged me to break out of my rut and give it a try. Just not right now! And you -- and some similar posts and some books I've read -- are also encouraging me to think about getting out of some other ruts as well. I'm thinking of dusting off a children's book I wrote years ago (and which was rejected). I still think it has potential, and I'm encouraged to give it another try. What a great feeling for this summer if I can whip it into shape.

Another thing I'm reading, which you may enjoy: "The Testings of Devotion," by Cheryl Dellasega. It's the first in what's called the Heavenly Host series, and involves angels, including the role of angels in our everyday life, spiritual warfare and the age-old battle between good and evil. It's uplifting. God does not bring evil into our lives but surrounds us with angels to help protect us, to buffer us from the effects of evil. Even angels -- even "high-ranking" ones -- find their level of devotion tested by the temptations of evil. Good stuff.