Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Thursday, April 29, 2010

It Comes With Dinner

There's an excellent post today over on Sandie Bricker's blog,--here's an excerpt--

"As I approach the latest deadline barreling toward me at the moment, it's been easier to set the realities of real estate to the side of the road and pick up my pen with a steady hand. It was almost comforting to be called back to this side of my life. Rather than writing at scheduled times, I'm writing in the spare moments, in unexpected gaps of time, and I haven't needed a dose of Pepcid yet. When did the pressures of writing-on-demand become so manageable for me?

In my former life as a publicist, an actor I came to know was continually hounded by photographers and fans. Everywhere he went, everything he did, was documented, scrutinized and infringed upon. Following one particularly intrusive situation, a reporter asked him, "How do you stay so calm? This is outrageous, and you're acting like it's just another day at the office."

"It comes with the dinner,"
he told her. Bottom line, it had happened so often that he'd become used to dealing with it. If he wanted to be an actor and eat the prime rib, those nasty brussel sprouts were going to be on the plate. They came with the dinner.

Deadlines are my brussel sprouts for a prime rib dinner I've been dreaming about my whole life. Bring 'em on. I'll face them down."


Read the rest here.

No comments: