Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Friday, October 09, 2009




Today I'm chatting with Jenness Walker on her new release, Double Take.

Congratulations!


1) Tell us about your latest release. What inspired you to write it?


Double Take
begins with Cole, the hero, reading a best-selling thriller where the villain plays a deadly game of cat-and-mouse with the heroine. When the first scene from the book is replicated in real life in front of Cole and a woman is kidnapped, Cole believes he holds the clue to her survival in his hands. But will anyone listen to him? Or will he be too late to save her? The story is set mostly in Atlanta and includes some of the scenes from the thriller.

I’m not really sure what inspired it. I’d just read an interview about a book cover model and thought it was pretty interesting. Then I was mulling a couple plots and trying to come up with something that combined elements of the two. The result was Double Take although it really doesn’t have anything to do with the ideas I’d been brainstorming in the first place. 

2) What is your typical writing day like?


I’m not much of a schedule person, but if I guess my average day, when I’m in the groove, goes something like this—Come home from work. Check my email. Make supper. Hang out with my husband. Then settle at my computer and play around for a while, pretending to write.  Usually I can get going around 8 or 9 p.m., and if it’s flowing, write as late as 2 a.m.

3) Among your books, who are your favorite hero and heroine?


I still have a soft spot for Jake and Raymi from my first (unpublished) novel. Jake, because he’s so broken, yet so sweet—you just want to hug him. Raymi, because she is someone I look up to and want to be like in real life. I’m excited because in my next project I’m about to revisit them!

4) Tell us more about your hobbies.

Well, obviously I love to read. I also love to decorate, which over the years has resulted in a granny apple green room, a red room, brown, aqua, periwinkle…And somehow my husband still loves me. I also enjoy planning vacations. We like to find small towns with antique shops, old opera houses, etc. to visit.

5) Do you have any advice for aspiring novelists?

Be patient. Really, you don’t have much of a choice. Lol. But life isn’t perfect on the other side of a contract, either. Be content with where you’re at. Enjoy it! Trust God that The Call will come when the time is right.

6) What are your favorite writing or reading groups (online or off)?


The American Christian Fiction Writers (www.acfw.com). Absolutely. They offer so much and are the warmest, most encouraging group of writers you’ll ever meet.

7) Which genres do you enjoy reading for pleasure?

Hm…suspense, chick lit, westerns, romance. I’ll read almost anything, although I haven’t gotten into Amish fiction yet.

8) Anything else you would like to add --upcoming releases, local appearances?
I have my very first book signing on October 14th! Here’s the link for more details. http://jennesswalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/book-signing.html

No comments: