Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

What You ~Won't~ Do in 2008

Thanks to Paperback Writer for the great goal-setting idea. Here's a taste, stop over at her blog for more, and for the link to where she got the idea to begin with.

Over the years I've become a less is more person, especially in regard to my profession. I've trimmed down what I am willing to do as an author to: writing my novels, maintaining PBW, and doing the occasional favor for a reader, colleague, editor or book buyer. Aside from what I do around here, which is infrequent and clumsy at best, I'd say that I'm pretty much through with self-promotion.

And look -- lightning didn't strike me as I typed that. Incredible.

In 2008, I'd like to be the writer who just writes books. If my novels go on to be bestsellers, great. If they don't, that's the way it goes. Maybe the self-promotion advocates are right, and you have to get out there and pimp yourself or you won't get anywhere in this business. But if I ever get "there" I'd like it to be on the strength of the work, not how often or loudly I clamored for everyone to buy it.



For me personally, I plan to *not* worry about the market and write a story that I want to write.

What won't you do in '08???

2 comments:

A Life Inspired said...

Hello! I was caught by the beauty of the fireplace mantel photo and wanted to thank you for sharing that beauty.

Then I read your thought provoking "won't do" blog. I bookmarked your blog to visit again. I want to read more about your writing.

Have a great week!
~alva

Robin Bayne said...

Thanks for stopping by Alva!