Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Monday, August 27, 2007

Cultivate a Connection

I am reading a wonderful piece in the current issue of Discipleship Journal, by Cynthia Bezek and Buddy Westbrook. The article is called "Cultivating A Connection with God" and is aimed at helping the reader develop his devotional life, to deepen his relationship with God. The authors go into much more depth in the magazine, but I thought some of their points apply to me as I work on devotionals for a compilation.

A few highlights--

Making Connections
(Bible reading, Memorizing and Meditation)

--Prayer: Be vulnerable when you pray. Anticipate and listen for His understanding response. Receive what He shares.

--Worship: Recognize who God is and reflect that back to Him.

Afraid to Get Close?

--Fear of being disrespectful: We may be afraid to approach His majesty.

--Fear of disappointment: We may be afraid of His answer

--Fear of disclosure: We may be afraid of criticism

--Fear of silence: We may be afraid He won't be listening


Hear me as I pray, O Lord.
Be merciful and answer me!
My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.”
And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.”
--
Psalm 27:7-8

No comments: