Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Friday, December 08, 2006

Writers, Condescending. . . .

Thanks to Brenda Coulter over at
No Rules. Just Write. for bringing up a not-so-sticky-sweet subject--


Friday, December 08, 2006
When writers attack


Today's post about writing and rejection by novelist Jack Cavanaugh at the The Charis Connection is both thought-provoking and chuckle-inducing. But there was one small part that disturbed me. I'm getting really, really tired of reading things like this all over the blogisphere:


I refuse to write whipped cream stories. There are too many all sugar, no substance stories on the shelves already.

I don't know Mr. Cavanaugh. And I'm not going off on him personally, because these are just two little sentences and I have the impression that he tossed them off at least partly in jest. But please. Could we writers stop trying to plump up our own egos and promote our own writing by tearing down the work of others? Who benefits when we sniff and insist that we, unlike so many other writers, are determined to write quality fiction?
Do we honestly believe that some writers wake up in the morning and say to themselves, "I need money. I believe I'll write some garbage today. Good thing my editor is lazy and my publishing house wouldn't know quality if it bit their backsides--and the public can be fooled into buying just about anything. I won't even have to break a sweat. I'll just crank something out and mail it to New York next week."

Read the rest
here.

No comments: