Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Interview with Laura Hamby

Laura Hamby, author of "Christmas Grace," has engaged in some Q&A with us today.



1) When did you start writing and why?

I've been writing forever. I've always had stories in my head, trying to escape. I started writing in my teen years, after I read my first historical romance. I wrote off and on for years. About 5 years ago, I decided to go for it-- I wrote an historical romance, found a community of writers to commune with, made friends, continued writing, and submitted *Sukie's Dance* to By Grace for their first Brides and Bouquets anthology. That was published in 2005.

2) What is your favorite place to write? Do you have any rituals?

I write at my computer. I like easy access to the internet in the event I need to do a dab of research, and I enjoy writing with company. I like to play music when I write, and have been known to listen to one CD over and over until a novel is finished.

3) What inspired you to write C.G.?

Oh, boy... I think Sheila mentioned needing Christmas novels/novellas, and I can't resist when she puts a bug in my ear. I should try to resist a bit harder, though. GGG. Inspired is truly the best way to describe C.G.-- I started with a premise and a setting, and as I wrote, it all unfolded before me. It could only end one way, and when I tried to resist the way the novella was heading, instant writer's block, so I wrote it the way my heart told me.

4) What advice would you offer aspiring writers?


Don't be afraid to reach for your dream. Learn all you can about the craft, be open and teachable. Don't be afraid to stretch yourself. And grow a thick skin.


***Thank you, Laura! Readers can learn more about Laura at
her site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin,

Thank you for the interview opportunity.