Please Join Us Weekly For Writing Inspiration. . . "Words To Write By" from your favorite Christian authors. . . .

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Caroling for Christmas. . . with Robin Lee Hatcher


I love to stock up on Christmas stories and begin reading them each November, and I've just read the first one for 2006. This is a book I would have picked up for either the author or the cover-- Robin Lee Hatcher is an "auto-buy" for me, and the cover is so warm and inviting I can't imagine passing it by! I wasn't disappointed in the story--as usual Robin tells a tale that involves your emotions and leaves you feeling good. "A Carol for Christmas" is her 50th published novel!


I first met Robin at a writer's retreat in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia a few years ago. At the time I hadn't made the change to inspirational fiction, but I enjoyed meeting her and was impressed that she treated all the writers, both new and established, with kindness and respect. I worked with her when I was the secretary for the Faith, Hope and Love chapter of RWA, and now follow her blog daily. After reading the other blogger's entries and finishing "Carol," I asked Robin the following:


Did you personally have musical aspirations?


I love music and have the heart of a great singer, but alas, not the voice. While I don't make people cover their ears and shudder when I open my mouth, I consider my singing to be closer to a joyful noise. I know my limitations. I took piano lessons as a girl and still pick out a few melodies, although it would take real practice for me to be any good at it. I also played the flute for a few years but that was long, long ago.





What do you listen to while writing?



While writing, I usually listen to movie soundtracks (no lyrics, just music). But I have an enormous collection of CDs and, since the advent of iTunes, a lot of singles as well. My musical taste is very eclectic. I listen to Bach and Mozart, Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood, Don Moen and the Newsboys, Elvis Presley and Barry Manilow. Music inspires me.




For more interview questions with Robin, check out these blogs:

Tricia Goyer
Girls Write Out
Author Intrusion

Some ending words from Robin:

In the final analysis, it isn't about me or my gifts. It's about Jesus. All that matters to me is, did I give it all up for Him? Did I live abundantly and with abandon in the beauty of His grace? When I reach the end of my life, I hope to be able to say, Yes, I did.


Visit her website and blog for an early Christmas treat.

2 comments:

chrisd said...

Hi Robin--My name is Chris from Genre Fiction. Nice Article--I want to go over to her site in December and check it out.

I have to NaNo now. Nice to meet you!

Sean Carter said...

hi! it was nice reading your blog. i will check out this book you have mentioned. peep into this amazing Holiday Blog for some unique gift ideas and lots more interesting stuffs.